Thursday, January 3, 2008

Doing my Homework.

I've been told that, as a first year, I will have 5 assignments this year. I must:

1. Make a kit bag in house-specific colors, using whatever craft I desire
2. Find some sock yarn in house-specific colors.
3. Provide pair of new knitting needles, preferably in a type requested by another student.
4. Either make or buy a set of stitch markers
5. Find a sock pattern suitable for the sock yarn.

As it turns out, I'm getting off easy. Apparently, 3rd and 4th year students have another assignment on top of that! Luckily, we all have until April 4th to get this altogether.

We don't find out the house-specific colors or the type of needles requested until January 23. I've decided to get a bit of a head start--I've visited the shops provided in The Great Hall, and have been on the look-out for patterns or designs suitable for a kit bag. I do have some experience making stitch markers, but have also found quite a few very nice ones available for sale. I've also been scoring this marvelous place called Ravelry for the perfect pattern. Of course, I've been looking at yarn, too, and am currently drooling over a colorway called Fawkes. But, don't tell anyone that! I couldn't bear it if it got out that I was fond of the bird so closely associated with Gryffindor! I'm very true to my house, I promise.

I've heard about this game called "Quiddich" quite a few times recently. I'm not quite understanding the rules fully. A sign in the Great Hall says:
There will be three rounds of Quidditch during this swap. Quidditch consists of a trivia challenge, picture scavenger hunt, and a hunt for the Golden Snitch.

Does this mean we will be given trivia questions and are meant to answer them in a blog? Is there a time limit? And, how do we prevent cheating (say, one student stealing answers from another's blog?) Does an individual win, or does the prize go to the house? Any and all answers would be much appreciated!

1 comment:

Neila said...

Welcome to Ravenclaw, Fleur! I'm your prefect and you'll be hearing from me often. I hope you're ready for lots of homework...and lots of fun. We're going to need everyone's quick thinking if we want to win the House Cup this year.

As for Quidditch....there will be 3rounds. Trivia questions and a savanger hunt will be posted and you will have to post your answers on your blog. At the end of the match the Golden Snitch will be released and you will have to search ALL the blogs until the snitch is found. First one to find the snitch wins points for their house...and a nice prize.

I will also be posting contests within Ravenclaw so keep reading and keep posting!