Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Patronus Charm

I saw some of the older students doing a neat charm in the Common Room today. It was called a "Patronus" I immediately went to the library to do some research and discovered that it was the spell used to drive away Dementors. In fact, it is the very charm that nearly got Harry Potter expelled in his third year! Also during my research, I found the necessary incantation: "Expecto Patronum" and its meaning in Latin: "I await a protector!"

Well, of course after all that interesting information, I had to try it for myself. It is really quite difficult! You have to have a very happy memory or thought while saying the incantation. I sort of managed it, but I couldn't quite achieve a corporeal figure. However, I was close enough to recognize my Patronus' form (not that it would be difficult to miss or mistake for another!):



Your Patronus would take the form of a Hydra. The Hydra is famous in Greek mythology, especially in the tale of Hercules. Hydras usually have seven to nine heads representing the faults of humanity. The Hydra is associated with shame and disgrace. This creature sprouts one or two heads for every one that is cut off causing this monster to be quite a challenge.
I'm not really sure what to think about my Patronus--associated with shame and disgrace! However, it appears to be quite powerful and that is what counts, right? Perhaps it means shame and disgrace to the Dementors that this Patronus will defeat!

No comments: